Since 2009, Uwezo has implemented large-scale nationally representative household surveys to assess the actual basic literary and numeracy competencies of school-aged children across Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. Each year, Uwezo produces three national reports and one regional report that present the headline findings across the region.
Uwezo has the following key components:
- A large household based survey covering all districts in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda;
- A simple tool to assess literacy and numeracy that can be easily administered;
- A citizen volunteer-driven approach to conduct the assessments;
- Instant feedback of the assessment results to parents/guardians, children and local leaders;
- Broad communication across the three countries to create debate;
- Repeating the assessments and survey each year to create and sustain momentum for change